Monday 20 March 2017

OCG January 2017 Format with Invoked Zoodiac - Tourney Report

Date: 18th March 2017
Players: 11
Deck used: Invoked Zoodiac


Round 1 - Vs Dino


SasugaColin from Dueling Society & BeyondTheDuel !
My opponent was there with a fun deck, or so he claims. Because there is nothing fun when Evolzar Laggia and Evolzar Dolkla is involved. Lol.
I won simply because I played Zoodiacs.
The siding for Game 2 was nothing significant. Dimensional Barrier was swapped for Mirror Force, which was a better card to have in this matchup. I placed in Monster Reborn and Dark Hole after taking out deck thinners like Reinforcements of the Army and Magical Meltdown. I almost died to Evolzar Laggia. :(

Round 2 - Vs Zoodiac


I managed to win a dice roll and entered the Zoodiac core combo without any interuption. On top of it, I was even insured as I rushed out Invoked Mechaba after my opponent had no response to the activation of my Zoodiac Barrage's effect. Should my opponent have been greedy and wanted to go after my Zoodiac Xyz Monsters with Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit, I would be ready to negate its activation.
I even had Maxx "C" during my opponent's turn to push him even more to a corner. He tried to farm his way through by summoning two Daigusto Emerals, but ultimately failed when he misplayed by forgetting to Xyz Summon Zoodiac Hammerkong to provide Zoodiac Lyca with an additional Xyz Material.
Should he have succeeded though, it would be an interesting turn of events. Out of the 8 or so cards I drew, my three Interupted Kaiju Slumbers were already dead as I also drew into my three Kaiju monsters.
  • Against Zoodiacs, expecting to go second, I swapped Dimensional Barrier for Forbidden Apocrypha, as I orginally planned for all Zoodiac matchups when going second. Both Solemn traps were sided out in favor of Mind Control.
  • I didn't like how Interupted Kaiju Slumbers almost always turns out dead so I swapped one for Dark Hole. The final change was Magical Meltdown and Reinforcement of the Army for Dark Hole and Monster Reborn.

 I attribute my win in the second game to luck. My opponent opened with plenty of 'Hand Traps' and could not manage a play in his turn. I went second and made a simple play by summoning Invoked Mechaba. My opponent's Maxx "C" ended up as a one-for-one as a result of this and could not gain any advantage.
The remainder of the game was Invoked Mechaba slowly poking him to death as his traps did not answer his cry for help. Like me, he played other traps instead of Torrential Tribute. But for his case, he played Quaking Mirror Force, which contained a stall element in it, as well as the factor of escaping negation by the common My Body as a Shield.

Round 3 Vs Zoodiac


I managed to win Game 1 with Invoked Mechaba? If I recall correctly? Then again, I think I won all my games thanks to this MVP.

Since I am gonna go second in the second game
  • Sided in
    • Lunalight Black Sheep + Polyermization
    • Forbidden Aprocypha x2
    • Monster Reborn, Dark Hole
    • Mind Control x2
  •  Sided out
    • Solemn Traps
    • 1 Interupted Kaiju Slumber
    • Dimensional Barrier x2 - I rather have other traps than this five cards. I understand that his deck has Zoodiacs in it, but I would much rather focus on clearing the Master Peace
    • Reinforcement of the Army, 3rd copy of Magical Meltdown - Deck Thinners which I would rather not see when going second. (In my opinion, at least)
I lost Game 2 to an immense difference in resources, with Dimensional Barrier successfully blocking all of my Fusion Summons, as he proceeds to farm for resources.
  • Sided in
    • Mirror Force 2
    • Dimensional Barrier x2
    • Reinforcement of the Army, 3rd copy of Magical Meltdown
    • Solemn Warning, Solemn Judgment 
  •  Sided out
    • Lunalight Black Sheep + Polyermization
    • Forbidden Aprocypha x2
    • Monster Reborn, Dark Hole
    • Mind Control x2

Game 3 was a war of attrition as we both traded blows back to back. I managed to win the game with a deciding attack by Photon Thrasher onto Zoodiac Drident, after baiting out its effect by placing Magicial Meltdown. It was 500 damage, just sufficient to lower his lifepoints to zero.


Game 4 - Vs Zoodiac


Game 1 was plenty of ups and downs too, as we both traded blows. I managed to cripple his deck when I banished Zoodiac Ratpier for a fusion summon. The deciding factor came when I I managed to draw into my Zoodiac Ratpier, and surprised my opponent with the presence of a Zoodiac engine. Checking my grave, where there are no Zoodiac cards, he confirmed that my Zoodiac engine was alive and was forced to destroy, using his Zoodiac Drident, my normal-summoned Zoodiac Ratpier. I proceed to Fusion Summon using Invocation that was previously searched.
A 1000ATK boosted Invoked Mechaba won me the game.
  • Sided in
    • Lunalight Black Sheep + Polyermization
    • Forbidden Aprocypha x2
    • Monster Reborn, Dark Hole
    • Mind Control x2
  •  Sided out
    • Solemn Traps
    • 1 Interupted Kaiju Slumber
    • Dimensional Barrier x2 - I rather have other traps than this five cards. I understand that his deck has Zoodiacs in it, but I would much rather focus on clearing the Master Peace
    • Reinforcement of the Army, 3rd copy of Magical Meltdown - Deck Thinners which I would rather not see when going second. (In my opinion, at least)
He managed to recover in Game 2 by drawing into a Zoodiac card when he needed it. From a single Zoodiac monster, he was able to search with Zoodiac Broadbull, pump more attack into the Xyz team with Zoodiac Tigermortar and finally, clear the path for a direct attack with Zoodiac Drident. I took a direct 4600 damage that turn, losing the second game. He sided in Anti-Spell Fragrance, which delayed my plays as well.

  • Sided in 
    • Dimensional Barrier x2 
    • Typhoon x3
    • 3rd copy of Magical Meltdown
  •  Sided out
    • Lunalight Black Sheep + Polyermization
    • Monster Reborn, Dark Hole
    • Mind Control x2
We went into Game 3 with time being called and had to end the game in four turns. I led first and had a weak opening. Despite my opponent not having any 'Hand Trap's, I didn't open with Invoked cards either. I summoned Photon Thrasher and Zoodiac Whiptail and Xyz Summon into Zoodiac Broadbull, searching Zoodiac Ratpier and ending as a Zoodiac Drident.
I could do another search for a 2nd Zoodiac Whiptail, but wanted to conserve my Zoodiac engine for my next turn.
But he Kaiju-ed away my Zoodiac Drident, and proceeded with his Zoodiac combo. Thankfully, I had Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit to stop him.
I dealt the game-deciding 3000damage during my following turn, and stopped his attempts at a recovery with my second Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit on the game's final turn.

Game 5 - Vs True Draco Zoodiac


Yeah, it is MyPochi aka the author for all of your Intro To [Deck] posts

He couldn't draw into his True Draco cards and I managed to attain board control with Zoodiac Drident and Invoked Mechaba.

  • Sided in
    • Typhoon x3 - to destroy the True Draco S/T
    • Mirror Force x2
    • Monster Reborn, Dark Hole
  •  Sideed out
    • Maxx "C" x3
    • Dimensional Barrier x2 - I rather have other traps than this five cards. I understand that his deck has Zoodiacs in it, but I would much rather focus on clearing the Master Peace
    • Reinforcement of the Army, 3rd copy of Magical Meltdown - Deck Thinners which I would rather not see when going second. (In my opinion.
I got so tilted so badly in this game as I fell victim to Anti-Spell Fragrances, plural, citing multiple copies. I responded to the first copy calmly as I had Typhoon in my hand, but had to assemble all the self control I had within me to not flip the table when my opponent gave his cheeky smile and flipped open a second copy.
I made do and tried to hide my spells among the traps in the backrow, and he summoned Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King by using a Trap & Monster, making it vulnerable to Spells. Good thing I have a Interupted Kaiju Slumber, set and ready to activate during the next turn. It also escape the blind targetting destruction of Master Peace, I might add.

AND
THEN
IT
HAPPENED
I DREW INTO MY 2ND KAIJU MONSTER,
 LEAVING ONLY ONE COPY IN MY DECK

 
Pretty much summarised how I felt.
Anyway I won the Round, but sadly I don't remember how it happened.


Conclusion


Thanks for reading. I hope I managed to spark your interest in Invoked as an archetype. Glad to have achieved some results with a deck that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment