With the rise of the Atlanteans in the current format, stopping Atlantean Prince and Deep Sea Diva's effect will be crucial. However, with some many negation options for the side and main deck, which would emerge as the best answer to the rising threat?
Today, Dueling Cancer seeks to assess the benefits and disadvantages for the various cards.
1) Effect Veiler
During your opponent's Main Phase: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; negate that opponent's face-up monster's effects until the end of this turn (this is a Quick Effect).
- Level 1 Tuner. One-for-one searchable. May fulfill other roles apart from negation, such as for a synchro summon.
- Hand Trap - Element of surprise. Technically tougher to remove/prevent as compared to spells & traps where a timely Mystical Space Typhoon or Night Beam can eliminate.
- Usable on the first turn even when your opponent goes first.
- Unlike the next 3 cards, Forbidden Lance can't stop this card.
- Effectively a -1 at times.
- Negation is not permanent. Only until the end of the turn. (Although sometimes that is all you need)
- Although tougher to prevent, the threat of Effect Veiler can still be removed by cards such as Macro Cosmos, Mind Drain etc
- You can only use its effect during the Main Phase.
2) Breakthrough Skill
Target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; negate the effects of that opponent's face-up monster, until the end of this turn. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; negate that target's effects until the end of this turn.
- A Mystical Space Typhoon chained to it will not prevent the negation.
- Same card can be used to negate twice. (On different turns of course.)
- Graveyard effect can be easily overlooked by opponents if they forgot you have it in your grave. Surprise bitch !
- Unable to activate during Damage Step, meaning you can't negate Flip Effects with this.
- Forbidden Lance, Royal Decree, Trap Stun can answer to this threat. All of which are quite common in many decks today, be it main or side deck.
- In addition to negation, it can also stop the monster from attacking. This can make cards like Trishula totally useless
- Forbidden Lance will only stop this card for one turn.
- Apart from the previously mentioned cards such as Royal Decree, Trap Stun, a chain-ed Mystical Space Typhoon can stop the negation.
- Quick Play spell. So it can be activated during the Damage Step. Out of all 4 on the list, Shaddoll users probably hate this the most.
- You can benefit by using it on your own monsters. Be it a time-bomb Lava Golem or a monster which already used it effect (upon normal summoning), to give it a boost of 400 ATK.
- 400 ATK can come back to bite you when you use it on your opponent's monster.