Has Links really killed Pendulums?
You probably saw or heard this all over the internet. Many players fall back to Metalfoes and Zefra, but today I am going to introduce Pendulum Magicians.
Released during the Zoodiac era, they faced the nightmare of Zoodiac Drident and the challenge of the ever-present Anti-Spell Fragrance. Now, with more copies of Wisdom-Eye Magician and Wavering Eyes, here is how the deck could possibly regain its footing in the harsh conditions under the New Master Rule.
1) LinkSummoning ABC - O [Game Loss]
2) Yang Zing Dino - OO
3) True Draco - OO
4) LinkSummoning ABC - OO
5) Demise True Draco - OO
6) Yang Zing Dino - OO
1) True Draco - OXO
2) True Draco - OXO
3) True King Dino - OO
============ Main Deck : 42 ============
Astrograph Sorcerer x2
Performapal Dag Daggerman x3
Performapal Skullcrobat Joker x1
Black Fang Magician x2
Wisdom-Eye Magician x3
Iris Magician x3
Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer x2
Violet Poison Magician x3
Performapal Secondonkey x3
Tune Magician x3
Timebreaker Magician x1
Performapal Lizardraw x2
Archfiend Eccentrick x1
Ghost Ash & Beautiful Spring x2
Maxx "C" x2
Performapal Guitartle x1
Harpie's Feather Duster x1
Duelist Advent x3
Monster Reborn x1
Pendulumgraph of Ages x1
Pendulumgraph of Spacetime x1
Vanity's Emptiness x1
============ Extra Deck : 15 ============
Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom x1
Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer x1
Supreme King Dragon Clear Wing x1
Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon x1
Number S39: Utopia the Lightning x1
Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion x1
Performage Trapeze Magician x1
Number 39: Utopia x1
Startime Magician x1
Diamond Dire Wolf x1
Abyss Dweller x1
Decode Talker x1
Missus Radiant x1
Akashic Magician x1
============ Side Deck : 15 ============
Artifact Lancea x3
Skull Meister x2
Maxx "C" x1
Cosmic Cyclone x3
Wavering Eyes x2
Pendulumgraph of Spacetime x1
Gozen Match x3
Performapal Secondonkey and Performapal Dag Daggerman would probably surprise you. First off, Performapal Dag Daggerman has Scale 2, so it can accomadate to the deck's Level 4 monsters. Next, they are EARTH attribute, so it makes Link Summoning Missus Radiant much easier. Performapal Secondonkey is basically a psuedo-Performapal Skullcrobat Joker when Pendulum Summoned out.
Milled cards, by either Performapal Secondonkey or Performapal Dag Daggerman can be special summoned by Black Fang Magician. This is another method to bring out Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer. It also gives you more reason to play Monster Reborn in a Pendulum deck. Performapal Dag Daggerman 's Pendulum effect can also retrieve Monsters from the graveyard.
Interestingly, White Wing Magician is missing from the deck. The burden of Synchro Summoning hence falls onto the shoulders of Tune Magician.
Astrograph Sorcerer is simply amazing and it improves the consistency of the deck. Springing out and jumping a 2500ATK monster is also a bonus. Time Pendulumgraph and Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer provides it with oppurtunities to summon itself. Searches during your own turn allows for extended plays too. Be thankful that it is Scale 1, so even if its Pendulum Effect is non-relevant in this deck, you can still use it for Pendulum Summoning.
Duelist Alliance is your ultimate searcher. It can access your Pendulumgraph Spell/Trap or Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer which in turn searches out your Performapal engine. Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer 's destruction effect syngerises with the "Pendulum" Magician monsters - Sky Iris, Black Fang, Purple Poison - coupled with the ability to fetch a matching pair of scales.
With a higher spell count, one might consider Summoner Monk to tutor out Performapal Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer.
Vanity's Emptiness is pretty good in the current format, since many summons start a chain. ABC is probably a deck that does more inherent summons, with its Fusion Summoning being a 'Contact Fusion' and the other fusion it performs are Xyz and Link Summon. But let's not forget Destrudo, the Dead Drake of Dread starts a Chain too. Responding with Vanity's Emptiness could leave your opponent stranded, having paid half their lifepoints for nothing.
Invoked starts their Fusion Summoning with Invocation. A timely Vanity's Emptiness not only interupts their Fusion Summon, but it also stops them from reusing the engine. Dino variants, be it Yang Zing or True King, hates it when their Baby Dino effects are unable to resolve. It is probably only terrible against True Draco decks, but True Draco decks commonly play the Invoked engine. And if they do play a Card of Demise build, this deck would have to adapt and focus on removing threats using Time Pendulumgraph. The single copy in the Side Deck would come in handy at times like this.
Next up, I would like to talk about the Supreme King Servant/Supreme King Dragon Extra Deck monsters. Other decks might have more trouble summoning these Dragons out but not "Pendulum" Magicians. The deck is capable in summoning them out, which makes sense since they are both used by Sakaki Yuya from the Arc-V anime. (disapppointment in Arc-V anime triggered)
- Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom allows your other monster to do Piercing Damage and allows you to 'copy' a monster's name and effect. Does anyone want to try Xyz Summoning Number S39: Utopia the Lightning after Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom copied Number 39: Utopia's name? Well, the effect copy is probably more useful than the name copying in this deck. With Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom, your entire graveyard becomes a toolbox for you to access.
- Supreme King Dragon Clear Wing destroys but doesn't target. With the ability to destroy an opponent's monster before Damage Calculation and inflict damage, even when alone, it can pack a devastating punch.
- Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion gets my vote for the scariest Supreme King Dragon monster. It basically reduces your opponent's monster ATK points to zero without targeting, and it gains the entire of the original ATK. It makes the original Dark Rebellion Dragon look harmless. It is as if Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max (one of my favourite cards by the way) is laughing at Gagaga Cowboy. I witnessed plenty of players getting OTK or get defeated by this card simply because it doesn't target. So "Cannot be targetted" protection seems useless in the face of this Xyz Monster.
- Black Fang Magician is another culprit used alongside Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion. It halves your opponent's monster's ATK points, but it doesn't interfere with the ATK boost of Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion, since Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion gains the original ATK. So technically, against a 3000ATK monster whose ATK is halved, the monster loses 1500, while Supreme King Dragon Dark Rebellion gains 3000ATK. That's a 5500ATK damage if it goes through. If your opponent activated some Solemn Strike/Solemn Warning, the end is probably near.
For the Side Deck, these are the common cards of the format. Wavering Eyes is back to two, but I, too, do not feel the need to put it in the Main Deck since Pendulum decks are not that common. Gozen Match is pretty devastating against plenty of decks, I don't think any of the current commonly seen decks can escape unscathed when it is active on the field. Even the user of this "Pendulum" Magician deck will have to be careful and balance EARTH and DARK Attribute monsters.
Evidently, they are far from being a dead deck. But while their previous main nemesis - Zoodiac Drident - is now long gone, they will have to prepare for Invoked and ABC matchups to rise to the top tables.