Sunday 29 May 2016

Journey to ACQ: GeoTheBacon

Hi readers,

Today's post will be about the quest that we embarked on; trying to win our way up ACQ 2016 to obtain that wonderful Magician playmat and how I fought and failed.

-The playmat -


First off, let's explain how the whole ACQ thing work.

1) The event details are here.
2) It was 5 round Swiss with top 32 cut off
3) Total attendance for Swiss rounds : 132
4) Only the top 26 players from the Swiss round made it for the top 32 cut as there was 6 players who were already seeded.
5) To get seeded, one will have to achieve top 2 - 8 in the annual rankings held throughout last year.


So now with that out of the way; Since I was not seeded, I had to fight my way up through the Swiss rounds and this post is dedicated to how it went.

But before I get started on that here's my deck list.


Main Deck

Monster:
3 x D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok
1 x D/D Savant Thomas
2 x D/D Savant Copernicus
1 x Junk Synchron
3 x Maxx "C"
3 x D/D Swirl Slime
3 x D/D Necro Slime
3 x D/D Lamia
3 x D/D Savant Kepler
1 x Effect Veiler
Spell:
1 x One for One
1 x Harpie's Feather Duster
2 x Pot of Cupidity
1 x Monster Reborn
1 x Twin Twisters
1 x Swords of Concealing Light
3 x Dark Contract with the Gate
1 x Dark Contract with the Swamp King
Trap:
1 x Vanity's Emptiness
1 x Dark Contract with the Witch
3 x Solemn Strike
1 x Solemn Judgment
1 x Solemn Warning

Extra Deck
1 x D/D/D Wave Oblivion King Caesar Ragnarok
1 x D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf
1 x D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc
2 x D/D/D Flame King Genghis
1 x Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 x Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
1 x D/D/D Hexblood King Siegfried
1 x PSY-Framelord Omega
1 x D/D/D Gust King Alexander
1 x Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon
1 x T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 x Formula Synchron
1 x D/D/D Duo-Dawn King Kali Yuga
1 x Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy

Side Deck
1 x Vanity's Fiend
2 x Creature Swap
1 x Dark Hole
2 x Cosmic Cyclone
1 x Wavering Eyes
1 x Book of Eclipse
1 x Twin Twisters
2 x Quaking Mirror Force
2 x Eradicator Epidemic Virus
2 x Light-Imprisoning Mirror

Okay, so let the games begin. For reference the table number multiplied by 2 is the rank of the players at that point of time.

Game 1
Table number:56
Opponent: Rank 120 during Swiss (Dropped after round 3)
Deck: Hero (with diamond dude)
Techs: Card of Demise
Score: OO
Sided cards:
Opponent :Compulsory Evacuation Device,  Maxx "C"
Me: Dark HoleBook of Eclipse, Twin Twisters

Round 1: Winning the dice roll, I went first and I locked down with PSY-Framelord OmegaD/D/D Gust King AlexanderD/D/D Hexblood King Siegfried and a Solemn Strike set with a back up Monster Reborn in hand. My opponent opened up with a Elemental HERO Stratos and searched for a Elemental HERO Bubbleman, set all his spells and traps and I chained Maxx "C" in respond to that, and almost without any hesitation he special summoned Elemental HERO Bubbleman using it's own effect, he followed up by overlaying both his heroes into Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon. I chained Solemn Strike to Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon's effect instead of it's summoning to ensure I get that free draw off Maxx "C". Seeing as there was nothing more he could do he ended his turn, I proceed to just kill him with what I already had on the field not wasting any more cards.

Round 2: He chose to go first, setting up the field with Traptrix Rafflesia using A Hero Lives, during my turn I opened with Book of Eclipse to stop Traptrix Rafflesia then I normal D/D Savant Copernicus to bury D/D Swirl Slime which I use to special summon D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok and using it's effect to tribute D/D Savant Copernicus to banish his face-down Traptrix Rafflesia and ram him directly with D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok leaving him with 1800 life point and with that I ended my turn. My opponent then use monster reborn to call back his Elemental HERO Shadow Mist to search for Mask Change in which he used on Elemental HERO Shadow Mist as material to become Masked HERO Anki and he use it to attack my D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok hoping to get Masked HERO Anki's effect to search for another "change" spell card but since D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok is a pendulum monster it doesn't go to the grave yard thus Masked HERO Anki's effect doesn't trigger forcing him to end his turn, I summoned D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf at the start of my turn and determine to end him, I used Swords of Concealing Light to turn his Anki to face down defense position allowing my Beowulf who had 3000 attack and piercing ability to deal 1800 damage to his life point over Anki's 1200 def.



Game 2
Table number:21
Opponent: Rank 20 during Swiss (lost during top 4)
Deck: DDD
Techs: Colossal Fighter
Score: OO
Sided cards:
Opponent: D.D. Crow
Me: Wavering EyesTwin TwistersDark Hole

Round 1: Since I lost the dice roll, my opponent chose to start first.  He started off D/D Swirl Slime in which I chained Maxx "C" so he summoned D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc and ended his turn. My turn, I activate D/D Swirl Slime in which he also responded with Maxx "C" so I also summoned D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc suicide with his and ended my turn. Afterwards we were just going back and forth until someone managed to draw resources (I did) so I won.

Round 2: He chose to go first since he lost the previous round, but since he bricked his hand all he could do was set 1 face-down and ended his turn. My hand wasn't optimal but still playable, thus I try to go for a OTK which was stop short with his D.D. Crow that was in his hand, stopping me from ending him in that turn. But afterwards he didn't drew any out against me thus he just lost to generally bad hand and inability to stall.



Game 3
Table number:7
Opponent: Rank 9 During Swiss (lost during top 16)
Deck:  Metalphosis
Score: OO
Sided cards:
Opponent: D.D. Crow
Me: Wavering EyesTwin TwistersDark Hole

Round 1: Winning the dice roll, I chose to go first i locked down his field with Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon & D/D/D Hexblood King Siegfried with a few Solemn supporting them at the back, When it was his turn he couldn't do much and just dead the following turn.

Round 2: Since he lost the previous round he chose to go first fearing that I will lock him down again, but since he didn't drew into either his Blackwing - Gofu the Ghostly Shadow or Cyber-Stein, he couldn't lock me down and he just dead to an OTK the following turn.


Game 4
Table number:4
Opponent: Rank 14 During Swiss (lost during top 32)
Deck: dark magician
Score: OXX
Sided cards:
Opponent: D.D. Crow
Me:Cosmic CycloneEradicator Epidemic VirusTwin Twisters

Round 1:
Winning the dice roll I went first, after a few exchanges. I manage to summon my D/D/D Duo-Dawn King Kali Yuga clear his field and pushed for game.

Round 2:
Since he lost the previous round he went first manage to set up his Dark Magical CircleEternal Soul, with Starlight Road protecting them, banishing my key combo pieces and preventing me from clearing him, leading to my lost.

Round 3:
I chose to go first since I lost the previous game ,  I started with D/D Swirl SlimeJunk SynchronEradicator Epidemic VirusDark Contract with the WitchSolemn Strike. and yes it is a very horrible hand. So ya before I could drew any cards he manage to set up his field and I lost.
Game 5
Table number:11
Opponent: Rank 27 during Swiss (didn't make it for Top 32)
Deck: Qliphort
Score: OO
Sided cards:
Me: Eradicator Epidemic VirusTwin Twisters

Round 1: Since I won the dice roll I went first, wanting to scout his deck and not over extend I summoned a D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc and ended my turn. His turn, he started off with a Summoner's Art searched for a Qliphort Scout (I smirked), which in turn he use to search for their equip spell Saqlifice and equipped it to a normal summoned Qliphort Stealth set two cards face down and ended his turn. My turn I opened with Harpie's Feather Duster which he negated with Solemn Judgment leaving his life at 4k. I followed up but normal summoning a D/D Lamia and use it to tune my D/D/D Oracle King d'Arc into D/D/D Hexblood King Siegfried which in turn became D/D/D Duo-Dawn King Kali Yuga which I used to attack his stealth and due to Kali Yuga's effect and cards on the field's effect are negated his Saqlifice couldn't protect him but he got to search for another Qliphort Scout and I use Kali Yuga's effect to destroy all spell and traps on the field ending my turn. His turn, since my Kali Yuga still have one more xyz material and his effect to destroy all spell and traps on the field is quick-play, he set one card face down and just ended his turn and I used Kali Yuga's last xyz material and destroy his one and only face down and proceeded to end him next turn.

Round 2: He chose to go first and opened with Pot of Duality and added a The Huge Revolution is Over to his hand, used Scout to add a Saqlifice to hand, normal summoned Qliphort Carrier equppied it with Saqlifice and he set 3 face down and ended his turn. My turn, in my hand was 2 x D/D Savant Copernicus and 2 x D/D Savant Kepler with a Harpie's Feather Duster I drew into a Monster Reborn. First I normal summoned a D/D Savant Kepler to search for Dark Contract with the Gate and since he did not respond I knew he had no Skill Drain, so I activated Dark Contract with the Gate and try to use it's effect which he responded by using Mystical Space Typhoon  on it. I then placed scale 1 D/D Savant Copernicus & scale 10 D/D Savant Kepler in my pendulum zone which will allow my to pendulum summon lvl 2 - 9 monster from my hand in which he responded with Vanity's Emptiness and since I knew his last set card was The Huge Revolution is Over I activated Harpie's Feather Duster which he had no choice but to chain The Huge Revolution is Over to protect his Scout and Saqlifice. So I proceeded to pendulum summon D/D Savant Copernicus which sent my D/D Savant Thomas to the graveyard to be revived with my Monster Reborn and using Thomas's effect I destroyed my D/D Savant Copernicus that was in my pendulum zone and special summoned a D/D/D Oblivion King Abyss Ragnarok from my deck but this turn the battle damage that will be dealt to him was half and I used both Thomas and Ragnarok as overlay material to summon D/D/D Duo-Dawn King Kali Yuga and I attacked his monster and cleared all his spell trap, but he used Saqlifice to search for another Scout and I ended my turn. His turn, he set scout to search for a scale 1 Qliphort monster and he set it as scale which I responded using Kali Yuga's effect to destroy both his scale and he surrendered afterwards.




Conclusion
So yay, I was ranked 7 after the 5 round Swiss making it for the top 26 cut into the top 32 games. The top 32 game is single elimination format and how far I got...... well you just have to read below to find out!


Game 1

My Opponent thought that he did not make it for the top 32 card and went home. What can I say luck is also part of this game.

Game 2
Opponent: Rank 23 During Swiss (lost at top 4)
Deck: BAPK
Score: XX

Well I'm quite tired after typing such a long post and since my match was featured, you can just watch it from here. So watch me as I lose magnificently.


So this was the first time I try to play as competitively as I could, We even had a training session overnight to train just for this. I dare say I did quite well overall, and I will aim even higher for the next big event in Singapore so stay tune!!

Oh and do look forward to my post on The Detailed guide to D/D/D, first part coming out this coming Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment