Wednesday 3 May 2017

Goat Control Decklist

Tsukiyomi and Magician of Faith are best friends.



Yet to obtain:
  • Tribe-Infecting Virus
  • Metamorphosis  
  • All other cards that can be Gold Rare. :D

Decklist

16 Monsters
16 Spells
8 Traps


Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning x1
Jinzo x1
Airknight Parshath x2
Reflect Bounder x1
Tribe-Infecting Virus x1
Breaker the Magical Warrior x1
Gravekeeper's Spy x2
Tsukuyomi x2
Gravekeeper's Guard x1
Sangan x1
Magician of Faith x2

Heavy Storm x1
Delinquent Duo x1
Metamorphosis Enemy Controller x2
Pot of Greed x1
Nobleman of Crossout x2
Card Destruction x1
Graceful Charity x1
Brain Control x1
Mystical Space Typhoon x1
Scapegoat x2
Snatch Steal x1

United We Stand x1
Premature Burial x1
Mirror Force x1
Torrential Tribute x1
Sakuretsu Armor x2
Dust Tornado x2
Call of the Haunted x1



Description

I started liking Gravekeeper's Spy. It is 2000DEF, and able to recruit another copy of itself and maybe even Gravekeeper's Guard if needed. It is useful in plenty of situations, ranging from rushing out a 2400 direct damage or just block and defend. It also acts as a tribute fodder even if larger attack monsters like Jinzo manage to destroy your first copy. However, there are a limited number of monsters that can overcome the 2000DEF monster.

As tempting as it is to run this card that I love such much at three copies, I can't find the space to, and Nobleman of Crossout really hurts. I also like Gravekeeper's Guard due to its 1900DEF, which I previously mentioned. It can be reused with Tsukiyomi to repeatedly bounce back your opponent's monsters while direct attacking.

I also play two Dust Tornado to counter Snatch Steal and Call of the Haunted/Premature Burial plays. It also saves me from Deliquent Duo a couple of times.

Reflect Bounder can stall at times and replaced Magical Cylinder as the burn aspect of the deck. It is also a useful LIGHT fodder. Sadly, my favourite trap isn't very useful in this format.

More reading on discussion and research indicate different player's preferences. Which is very interesting and enlightening.
  • Some argue the lack of need to play multiple copies of Flip monsters due to Nobleman of Crossout.
  • Other employ Skilled White Magician as a beatstick and a LIGHT fodder capable of withstanding Airknight Parsath's attacks. Its effect is ignored and basically as good as a Vanilla monster. The only reason to choose it over Exarion Universe is its LIGHT attribute status.
  • Nobleman of Crossout is a double-edged sword. But an interesting method to use it is to activate it and target your own Flip monsters, such as Magician of Faith after your opponent had used his power spells. From there on it is a matter of outlasting him in terms of resources.
  • An interesting point made is to hold onto Graceful Charity and Deliquent Duo instead of using it right away. For the former, you might want to wait for your discard fodders such as Thunder Dragon, Night Assailant and Sinister Serpent. As for the latter, it would be more harmful for your opponent if they exhuasted their discard fodders, forcing them to discard power spells and monsters. However, the trade-off for reaping a greater reward off these cards is that they, in hand, will be vulnerable to Deliquent Duo and Morphing Jar. Also the occasional Card Destruction.


Modifications

As I only have one other player - SanganFTK joining me in playing the format, my Side and Main is contructed to combat his Chaos Control variant. Plenty of cards which I really love but are unable to include into my deck are Magicial Cylinder and Spirit Reaper.

Don Zalog is like Spirit Reaper, but searchable and minus the indestructability via battle part. I like how both cards can make your opponent minus and the occasional backlash damage the opponent gets from Exarion Universe looking to pierce.

I am considering swapping the second Airknight Parsath for a Exarion Universe as it is also a card which I love. I am also fond of the Warrior Toolbox, which I side, consisting of D.D. Warrior Lady and D.D. Assailant. I am looking to include Big Shield Gardna for a surprise, as it just ignores Nobleman of Crossout and forces your opponent to trade some Lifepoints before it can truly get rid of it. Blade Knight is agressive and I may play it at one. But the only opponent I have doesn't play too many Flip monsters so I am still deciding if it is worth my while.

As far as taking care of Flip monsters, in addition to Nobleman of Crossout, I am thinking Mystic Swordsman Lv2 and Blade Knight can help. However I am thinking I might be too greedy and want to try out everything. It is indeed difficult to find room for these sorts of cards.

Since I am playing Jinzo, I am thinking of switching one-off and trade cards like Sakerestu Armor for spot removals with Smashing Ground. However, I don't want to lose the ability to protect my monsters during the opponent's turn. 

Currently, I am heading towards building my second deck, a Chaos Turbo variant, seeking a more aggro playing style as opposed to the calm board control aim of this Goat Control deck.

Conclusion


I highly suggest players, especially new ones to try out the format. Try out a mirror match on a simulator or an old console game, and then build the deck. I am pretty confident the entire deck can be built within a $100SGD budget. Also, it is a nice way to make use of all those Dust Tornado reprints you have lying in your Structure Decks.

While modern Yugioh has its own appeal of building unbreakable boards and attempting to tear them down, Goat Format allows space for interaction and tons of plays. With each play and move, comes the risk of misplays and errors, revealing which player has a better game sense and ability. Interesting and smart ways to win are invented as the numerous game states are revealed.
Nobleman of Crossout your own Magician of Faith to cripple the opponent? Book of Moon Jinzo followed up with a Nobleman of Crossout? Flip the wrong monster face-up first and get Torrential Tribute?

That's the beauty of Goat Format. Unexpected consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment