MACR-JP068(?) 常闇の契約書 Tokoyami no Keikakusho (Dark Contract with the Eternal Darkness)
Continuous Trap Card
(1) While 2 “D/D” cards are in your Pendulum Zone, your opponent cannot target monsters on the field with Spell/Trap effects, nor Tribute monsters on the field for Tribute Summons, nor use monsters on the field as Material for Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Summons.
(2) Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Take 1000 damage.
Nothing phenomenal, but it does give D/D/D a fighting chance and the incentive to place cards in the pendulum zone, To once again state the restrictions, so players won't misread or miss out any:
- Cannot target monsters on the field with Spell/Trap effects,
- nor Tribute monsters on the field for Tribute Summons,
- nor use monsters on the field as Material for Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Summons.
Apart from the glaring protection this card offers to the user, there also lies the problem whereby players can no longer attempt to protect their monster with The Phantom Knights of Fog Blade or anything with regards to spell/trap targeting.
My point is - not only can you not target your opponent's monsters, you can't target yours either. However, non-targeting options still work, making Book of Eclipse remain relevant. The option to target monsters with monster effects also exist, something worth noting if that slipped your mind. But the problem lies with the card's activation and resolution criteria - the two D/D cards in the pendulum zone. Hence to escape this card's lockdown, one should focus on taking out the pendulum scales. Thankfully, this card doesn't protect the scales from being destroyed.
Your field monsters are locked out from your reach, unable to access. But you can still Ritual Summon (DAM SON says yeah~) and fuse monsters in your hand and even graveyard for a fusion summon. With the help of cards like King's Consonance, synchro summon can still take place. So fret not, there are still ways around the card.
The initial released translated effects were slightly different, making it more OP, with Trap Eater being one of the only few ways out of this floodgate. It
- Activated effects of Spell/Trap/Monster by your opponent is negated.
- nor Tribute
on the fieldfor Tribute Summons,
- nor use monsters
on the fieldas Material for Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Summons.
The change in effect made this card pretty underwhelming, but revoking your opponent access from their field monsters does have its merits. Fans can remain hopeful, but only time will tell.