Majespecter Unicorn – Kirin
Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Fire Formation – Tenki
Magician of Faith
Star Seraph Sovereignty
El Shaddoll Fusion
- Brain Control (Errata)
(1) Pay 800 LP, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls that can be Normal Summoned/Set; take control of that target until the End Phase.
- Future Fusion (Errata)
(1) During your next Standby Phase after this card’s activation: Reveal 1 Fusion Monster in your Extra Deck, and if you do, send the Fusion Materials for that Fusion Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.
(2) During your 2nd Standby Phase after this card’s activation: Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster with the same name as the monster you revealed with this card’s (1) effect from your Extra Deck. When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.
- Imperial Order (Errata)
You must pay 700 LP during each player’s Standby Phase. If you cannot pay 700 LP, destroy this card.
(1) While this card is in the Spell & Trap Zone, negate all Spell Effects on the field.
- Goyo Guardian (Errata)
Synchro Materials: 1 EARTH Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
(1) When this card destroys a monster and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon it to your side of the field in Defense Position.
- Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (Errata)
Synchro Materials: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can only use the effect of “Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier” once per turn.
(1) You can discard to the Graveyard any number of cards, then target that many cards your opponent controls; return them to the hand.
- Rescue Cat (Errata)
You can only use the effect of “Rescue Cat” once per turn.
(1) You can send this card to the Graveyard; Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck, but their effects are negated, also they are destroyed during the End Phase.
Let's go down the list and discuss my opinion on the changes of the list.
Newly ForbiddenMajespecter Unicorn - Kirin
0 > 1
- Konami decided to punish Kirin further despite Metalfoes struggling to keep up with the game in this format. While I do pity Majespecter lovers, Kirin's effect is so handy and useful that I would admit it seems only obligatory and wise to splash Kirin into any pendulum deck. And this may not have sit well with Konami.
Newly LimitedSpeedroid Terrortop
3 > 1
- Plenty of us saw this coming. Single card Rank3s had always had the misfortune of falling into the Limited section of the list (cough cough Tour Guide of the Underworld). What's more is that Terrortop can special summon itself via an inherent special summon, further justifying the decision of limiting it to one. Being capable of extending into OTK loops, synchro and xyz plays, guess it is finally time for Terrortop to go.
2 > 1
- Dewloren went from 2 to 1, killing off the Grandsoil+Dewloren loops that requires two Dewloren to function. Interestingly, with this, all Ice Barrier synchro monsters are now limited.
3 > 1
- Treatoad's limitation was kinda surprising, but I am in favor of this at it may give ground for Norden to re-enter the game. On this note, Treatoad is now forced to recycle itself upon entering the grave for players who want to re-summon him. Frog/Paleozonics decks face yet another challenge in addition to the already scarce pool of Rank2 monsters at their disposal. A more straightforward way would be to go for Bahamut Shark though.
- I believe Tenki's limitation serves the same purpose as Terrortop's. By removing this design barrier from the game, it paves the way for future Zoodiac support to be created without being overshadowed. Players have the option of turning towards future support (which I predict to serve similar purpose as Tenki and Terrortop) to replace these limited cards.
- ABC decks had a tough time since their debut. Having Metalfoes stand in their way since their release, they had their victory abruptly cut short by the arrival of the Zoodiacs which overpowered them after Metalfoes were less of an issue. With their deck's key searcher and combo-facilitator limited, ABC decks may just be a stone's throw away from death's door this coming January.
Errata division0 > 1
The errata limited the targets of Brain Control, making me doubt if anyone would bother playing it over Mind Control, with the only different being a Brain Control-ed monster can be tributed and attacked. The nerf seems pretty harsh on this card, second only to Sangan.
Future Fusion delays the mill for a turn, but I do still potential in it. That being said, with Zoodiac Drancia being an easily accessible outs to face-up cards, and the plenty of spell/trap removal in the game currently, I doubt it can remain on the board long enough to witness the first Standby Phase after activation.
Being at one, does however, provide a glimmer of hope for decks. I am interested to see the return of Cyber ABC deck which can abuse, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon along with Future Fusion to mill the ABC union parts, and also Metalfoes players looking to try their luck with it.
Not much comments on Goyo Guardian and Rescue Cat. The latter's erratum prevents the infamous one card Rescue Cat FTK from returning to the scenes, and as for Goyo, I guess Konami wanted it to remain faithful to the [Goyo] theme of EARTH monsters.
Imperial Order still feels nuts though, remaining strong even after the errata. Spells has defined the game to a large extent and this potentially new floodgate is about to change the game state. Typhoon, the Spell/Trap destroying Trap card is likely an option players will rely on to get rid of Imperial Order. Trap Eater is another one that comes to mind.
As for cards making out of the banlist, no such luck for El-Shaddoll Construct and Witch of the Black Forest.
As for the rest, I have not much to comment about. Feels like a "it is about time to come back" type of thing, but I am personally liking Mathematician at 3 again. It opens the possibility of a single card synchro engine into many different levels.
ConclusionThe list will take effect at the end of the year and it looks to be an interesting meta awaiting us OCG players.
It is currently up in the air as to how Zoodiac as a deck itself will survive. There lies to option of turning towards other Level3 engines such as Tour Guide of the Underworld or Madolche, or simply changing tactics and going for Rank4s instead. Xyz summon into Zoodiac Broadbull, search out Zoodiac Marmorat. Either dump it into the grave, re-attach it using Zoodiac Tigress or summon it from there on. Eidolon Zoodiac have been practicing this play for the previous few weeks, fusing away Zoodiac Marmorat from their hand. An Empowered Warrior engine along with Photon Thrasher can be used to set up Rank 4 plays.
Infernoids, being untouched by the list will likely retain its Tier 1 status in the metagame but will face strong competition in the form of the True King and Magicians being released in Maximum Crisis in January. The two new decks are expected to take the metagame by storm and transform the face of the competitive landscape.